Saturday, January 17, 2009

RSS Feeds...Special Delivery

One only needs to read posts by jutecht to understand the power of RSS feeds (I'm not sure what isn't fed to him). With RSS, you pick what you want to know and gets delivered to your doorstep, so to speak. This concept is very new to me. It seems as if too much stuff can come your way though. For example, in the tutorial, is this to say that 29,069 feeds on global warming will come my way? I think I'm missing something.
The BEST news I've heard yet...one can select a section of the newspaper and RSS it. My husband cannot let go of newspapers (hundreds reside in my house...and I'm not kidding!). He cannot part with his Manchester Union Leader. He buys them every day and they pile up for the day (which never comes) when he'll open them. Heaven forbid that I throw one in the woodstove prematurely. I think the reason he buys it daily is for the Obituary section. A good birthday gift...RSS just that section to him.
The more I use iGoogle and RSS feeds, the more comfortable I will get. Right now, I see it as getting a packet of information Special Delivery. My next challenge is to sort the mail. What is junk and what is a good read...that is what I need to figure out.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the same place as you are--sorting the valuable from the superfluous posts. I am also favoring the "special delivery;" however, I have also explored just having a hot topic for me gathered from around the workd and sent to me. We'll see how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you and Jen are working on this. "Finding your stream among the Chaos" is important. Your stream is ever changing, adding, deleting and just when you think you have it figured out you tweak it a little bit.

    What happens to your husband when the Newspapers stop printing. We've already seen both Newspapers and Magazines fail this year, and I think many more will before it's over.

    ReplyDelete