Saturday, January 17, 2009

Blogs...Thinking Out Loud

Having read numerous blogs over the past few weeks, I see it as a way to express oneself while allowing many folks, familiar and unfamiliar, to read one's inner thoughts. It is also a way to share experiences and knowledge. Some blogs are very personal; others are informative; others just plain entertaining. Blogs also allow the reader and the writer to share their work or passion. I'm only beginning to understand the power of these as an educator. I particularly like The Fischbowl.
Students blog in my school in their LA classes, but only with other students in my school. There is that fear factor of the unknown that many public schools experience. I guess that needs to change.
When my grown son starting writing a blog on his DC experiences, I wondered if he were sharing too much (even though I love reading it!). It's great that my google reader lets me know when he has a new post. I'm lovin' these Web 2.0 tools.
Classroom 2.0 is the newest blog I have added to my reader. It looks like a powerful social tool, but I can see that it also is one of those tools that must be taken slowly or otherwise one could become overwhelmed.
Blogging is an ongoing process with entries made regularly. It can be a time consuming activity (as a reader and a writer), but well worth the time and effort.
Blogging is a sign of the times. However, I can't help but wonder how folks that are very private will handle the Collaboration Age. I think they're just going to have to get used to thinking out loud, listening to others think out loud...or just stay in their cave.

No comments:

Post a Comment