Thursday, January 15, 2009

Connectivism: Learning is Messy and Chaotic

I had no idea there was so much to learn about learning. One thing for certain: Learning and I have something in common--messy and chaotic! While reading Siemen's Knowing Knowledge chapter on the principles of connectivism, I couldn't help but think how difficult it was recently to argue that our 'sage on the stage' has to change. According to the history teacher who teaches 2 rooms down the hall, all this technology stuff is "fluff." He needs to teach about Vikings and castles, and technology oftentimes takes too much time away from his curriculum. He is all about 'filling the container' with knowledge. And he is not alone; the math teacher agreed! A teacher of technology, like myself, finds it more difficult to argue against connectivism. Surely things change every day. Just when I figure something out, it has changed. I was really good at using FrontPage and then I had to switch to Dreamweaver. Just when I was comfortable using the Grab utility, I discover Jing. It's difficult to keep up with the right tools for the time. Knowledge is indeed dynamic. My challenge is how to best convey to my colleagues the concept that knowledge is a product and a process.

Given the amount of information that is out there, we need to streamline it to be efficient and effective; my first attempt at google reader had so much 'stuff' it was a total turnoff... overwhelming. Now, I can add feeds slowly; ones that are manageable. And when I look at the mess and chaos around me, I'll think about learning, and decide that I am in good company.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you started your blog; "I had no idea there was so much to learn about learning. One thing for certain: Learning and I have something in common--messy and chaotic!" Particularly the "messy and chaotic." So true, who knew that learning was so complicated. I am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember with your Google Reader not just to add feeds but to delete the ones you no longer find relevant. Deleting is just as important as adding...otherwise you will end up in information overload. :)

    ReplyDelete